Speedy Pea & Spinach Soup
Today was miserable. I’m all for “there’s no bad weather, just the wrong clothing”, but it’s been raining non stop for about a week now and today I arrived at work so soaked through, it took until after lunch to dry out. So when we were discussing what to have for dinner, I said “It feels like a soup kind of day”. As we were quite late with out dinner planning, I suggested pea soup, which can be ready in 15 minutes if you make it with frozen peas, and that’s what we had. Thinking of cracking open a bottle of mulled wine next, if the weather doesn’t improve…
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 750g of frozen peas
- 100g of baby leaf spinach
- 1/2 tsp dried or 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 litre of vegetable stock (or water + stock powder)
- salt & pepper
- 4 Tbsp plain yoghurt or sour cream (optional)*
- Chilli flakes to serve (optional)
You will also need a stick blender (or a regular blender, if you have one).
* For vegan, dairy free or lactose free, leave out the yoghurt/ sour cream or use a dairy/lactose free alternative.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the chopped shallots and minced/grated garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until the shallots start to soften.
- Add the peas, spinach, vegetable stock and thyme and bring to a simmer. Leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend it with the stick blender until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper, and stir in the yoghurt/ sour cream, if using.
- Serve with some chilli flakes sprinkled on top, if you like a bit of extra spice.