Potato, Carrot & Stilton Soup
Do you still have some leftover Stilton from the Christmas cheeseboard languishing in the fridge? Then I have just the recipe for you! My boys love this soup, though I do hold back a bit on the Stilton for them. They will eat it in the soup, but as a self confessed cheese addict I like a lot more Stilton in mine, so I just throw some extra on top.
- small handful of shallots (3-4 depending on size)
- 2 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 500g potatoes
- 500g carrots
- 2 litres vegetable stock (or water + stock powder according to packet instructions)
- 200g Stilton, crumbled
- 150ml single cream
- salt & pepper
- Peel the potatoes and carrots and chop into small chunks, ca 1-2cm big.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots.
- Fry the shallots with 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat until they have softened
- Peel and crush the garlic, and add to the shallots to cook for another minute.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and stock and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are soft and easily give way if you press a fork against them.
- Use a hand blender to blitz everything until smooth, being careful not to burn yourself.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cream and most of the Stilton (keep some aside as garnish) and heat through gently. If your kids aren’t too keen on the strong taste of Stilton, just use half the amount and add some extra in for the adults after you have served the kids.
- Serve with some extra Stilton scattered on top, if you please. Tastes great with oatcakes – also left over from our cheeseboard!
Oh this sounds delicious! I would love to try it. Although there isn’t much left over cheese here!
Amy - All about a Mummy
Why is it there is always so much cheese left after Christmas! This sounds like a great way to use it it!
YUM! I absolutely love a homemade soup and this one sounds so nice, I love recipes that include cheese so this one is a winner in my eyes xx
Jayne @ Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs
Oh, I love a nice warming bowl of soup this weather and am always on the lookout for new recipes. This looks really tasty! Thanks for sharing :)
I have really started to get into making my own soups and this sounds lush.
We do love making soup from the leftovers but not tried this one, thanks for the recipe.
This looks really delicious! I’m not a fan of stilton but I’d love to give this a try!