Easy Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
The first pumpkins have started appearing in the shops, which means an excuse to bake pumpkin pie! This is actually a recipe I have shared before on my previous blog, but it’s so good I thought it needed sharing again. And now, if you have to eat gluten free you don’t need to miss out on pumpkin pie any more!
For the pastry
- 250g gluten free plain flour, e.g. from Schär or Dove’s Farm
- 100g butter
- a pinch of salt
- 2-4 tablespoons of cold water
For the filling
- 400g pumpkin puree*
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 120g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice**
- 240ml evaporated milk
*You can either make your own pumpkin puree by first roasting your pumpkin in the oven (de-seeded and peeled) for about 45 minutes, then blending it in a food processor with a little water. Or, if you can find any, take a short cut and use a tin of pumpkin puree, e.g. Libby’s.
**To make your own pumpkin spice, mix together 2 parts ground cinnamon, 1 part ground ginger, and half a part each of ground allspice and ground nutmeg. I usually make up a little tub full to have on hand for baking (e.g. 2 tablespoons/1 tablespoon/0.5 tablespoon/ 0.5 tablespoon).
- For the pastry, rub together the flour, salt and butter until you have something resembling coarse bread crumbs, then add enough water to make a smooth dough. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat over to 180 C.
- Press the pastry into an aprox. 25cm large pie dish. Usually, you would roll out your dough first and then place it in the dish, but I find that gluten free dough just falls apart if you do that, so I just put the ball of dough in my dish, squash it down, then work it with my fingers in to the corners.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes, then take out the oven again. Careful not to burn yourself!
- Mix together all the filling ingredients and pour in to the pastry case.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving (it’s tempting to eat warm, but it will fall apart). Tastes great with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!