Crispy Vanilla Heart Waffles (GF)

Hands up if you like cosy afternoons in at this time of year, with a mug of hot tea and some fresh, home made waffles! If you own a waffle iron, chances are you already have a waffle recipe, but I still invite you to try this delicious recipe for crispy waffles, just like my mum always used to make them (thanks, mum!) We use our German ‘heart’ waffle iron to make these, which produces much thinner waffles than a Belgian waffle iron, but you experiment with this batter on any kind of waffle iron. This recipe makes about a dozen waffles, but they never last long when my boys are around.

Ingredients
(makes about 12 waffles)

• 250g (gluten free) flour
  • 1 teaspoon (gluten free) baking powder
  • 50g caster sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 125g unsalted butter, softened
  • 250ml milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Directions

• Sift together the flour and baking powder, and stir in the caster sugar and the pinch of salt.
  • In another bowl, beat together the eggs and butter until creamy, then mix in the milk and vanilla essence.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix together well until you have a smooth batter.
  • Heat your waffle iron according to the instructions, then add approx. one ladle of batter per waffle (you will know best how much batter to use in your iron).
  • Personally, I find these waffles taste best with just a dusting of icing sugar, but you can also load them up with cream and/or fruit (whipped cream + hot cherries is a favourite topping in Germany), or my boys love them slathered in chocolate spread. Of course.

8 Comments on Crispy Vanilla Heart Waffles (GF)

1. Treasure Every Moment
    26 November 2018 at 1:19 pm (6 months ago)

Oo yes please! These look delicious and I’m sure my daughter’s would love these for breakfast or for pudding :)

2. Talya
    26 November 2018 at 3:36 pm (6 months ago)

Ahhh I haven’t made waffles in ages – I totally forgot how much I love them! These look so yummy :)

3. Annette, 3 Little Buttons
    26 November 2018 at 4:38 pm (6 months ago)

What cute little waffles! They are so pretty and look like something you might get from a patisserie. How did you make them look so good I am now determined to buy a waffle iron. – Though I doubt I’d ever be able to get mine to look as good xx

4. Jenni
    26 November 2018 at 7:37 pm (6 months ago)

These look delightful and my brothers girlfriend is gluten free so perfect to make for her

5. Amy - All about a Mummy
    26 November 2018 at 10:13 pm (6 months ago)

These look divine! I’m desperate for a waffle iron. Think i’ll put one on my Xmas list!

6. Pati Robins
    27 November 2018 at 12:28 pm (6 months ago)

ohh they look so delicious , in fact you have made me so hungry i be raiding the fridge as soon as i finish writing this comment – i hope mine will look as good as yours

7. Stephanie
    27 November 2018 at 9:09 pm (6 months ago)

My friend did these for us when we visited Sweden and they’re so yummy!

3 December 2018 at 12:19 pm (6 months ago)

It has been such a long time since I last made waffles, these look absolutely yummy, I need to go dust up my waffle maker.