Celeriac & Potato Soup
We are great soup aficionados in our house. Butternut Squash, Pumpkin, and Parsnip & Apple Soup are all family favourites, and for a special treat my German Cheese & Mince Soup hits just the right spot. But I wanted to try something new for a change, and had heard great things about celeriac soup. I wasn’t sure if the kids would go for it, but they loved it’s slightly sweet taste and both asked for seconds! And it’s really simple to make.
- one large celeriac
- one large potato
- a handful of shallots
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock (or water + the appropriate amount of vegetable bouillon powder)
- 4 Tbsp single cream
- salt & pepper
- Peel and chop the shallots, and fry them in a large saucepan with the butter and vegetable oil over a low heat until they start to soften.
- While the shallots are cooking, peel and cube both the celeriac and the potato, then add them to the saucepan and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the vegetable stock, and leave to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the celeriac and potato are tender.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 – 10 minutes, then blend everything to a smooth consistency with a hand blender (being careful not to splash yourself with hot soup!).
- Stir in the cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
The kids love this soup with some mixed seeds sprinkled on top!
I love making soup. It is a recent passion of mine. I never thought make a celeriac soup, which is silly because I really like it. I may have to give this a go.
Ooooh I do love Celariac and this really sound like the perfect comforting soup for bleak old January.
This sounds yum! I love soup too and love making it at home. I’ll have to give this one a try as it doesn’t seem too difficult!
The Frenchie Mummy
I have not had celeriac for ages and now I read this I want this soup too!
Cath - BattleMum
A lovely simple recipe. It’s ages since I’ve made a homemade soup so must try this out!
Amy- All about a Mummy
I haven’t been able to get into soups at all this winter which is a bit annoying. Butternut Squash is my all time favourite.
Pingback: Autumn Wish List – The Bear & The Fox
Pingback: Roast Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup – The Bear & The Fox