Lunchbox Muffins

We’ve gotten in to a really bad habit recently of packing ready made snacks in to my son’s school bag in the mornings – oat bars, yogurt raisins, fruit leather, that kind of thing. It was meant to be a once a week treat, but it’s kind of taken over and while they are mostly healthy-ish, I’d rather give him something that’s home made and less processed, with less unnecessary packaging, and that also works out cheaper. Say hello to the lunchbox muffins! These are nut free (the school has a strict no nut policy), refined sugar free, and also a bit denser than regular muffins which means they don’t crumble as easily (if your child has ever opened their lunchbox to find a pile of crumbs where a muffin used to be, after being bashed about for half the day, you’ll know why this is important!)

Ingredients:
(makes 12 muffins)

• 2 bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of oatmeal
  • 1 cup of all purpose gluten free flour*
  • 1 heaped teaspoon of gluten free baking powder*
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 1 large handful of raisins

* I use gluten free flour and baking powder in all my baking, but you could also use regular flour/ baking powder instead.

Directions:

• Pre-heat your oven to 200 C (or 180C for a fan oven).
  • Mash up the bananas and mix with the eggs and honey.
  • Mix together the oatmeal, flour and baking powder.
  • Fold the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients until just mixed – don’t over mix!
  • Fold in the raisins.
  • Line a muffin tray with 12 paper muffin cases, and distribute the mixture evenly.
  • Bake for 10-15 mins until started to turn golden.
  • Leave to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

8 Comments on Lunchbox Muffins

1. Mel
    6 June 2019 at 11:06 pm (3 weeks ago)

These little lunchbox muffins are perfect! Just like you, I’ve got into the habit of giving my four ready-made snacks recently, or fruit and I’ve got to get back to the kitchen and make them flapjacks or muffins too!

2. Janet Cooper
    6 June 2019 at 11:28 pm (3 weeks ago)

This seems to be a simple enough recipe. We keep falling in and out of the habit too, sometimes it’s easier to buy snacks – but it’s actually so expensive. When you can make something that’s good, and this healthy, it makes you wonder why you would do anything else. I will certainly give this one a try, I think my kids will love these.

7 June 2019 at 8:09 am (3 weeks ago)

Love that you have done home-made muffins for the lunchboxes. I often struggle with ideas and would love to give these a try.

4. Alexandra Cook
    7 June 2019 at 4:37 pm (3 weeks ago)

My kids would absolutely love these. This would disappear in no time at our house! This is my kind of weekend treat.

5. Natalie Brett
    7 June 2019 at 8:39 pm (3 weeks ago)

These sound tasty and healthy. I use ready-made snacks but would like to start making things like this.

6. Tracey Kifford
    9 June 2019 at 11:31 pm (2 weeks ago)

These look really good. Alas my 10 and 12yr olds demand certain snacks (like their friend have) … when I’ve ever tried to pack something I’ve made they take themselves off to the canteen at break time and buy something else!

7. Rachel
    11 June 2019 at 6:03 pm (2 weeks ago)

Such a simple and tasty idea! Would love some in my lunches!

8. Rachael
    12 June 2019 at 1:29 pm (2 weeks ago)

Oh these sound great, I’ve been trying to come up with some healthier snacks that are easy for me to grab for the boys. These look lush.