Banana & Roasted Walnut Cookies

This week I’ve had my littles munchkin at home, sick with bronchitis – again. I thought we’d seen the last of that! Anyway, he’s been feeling pretty miserable, and not had much of an appetite, so I’ve been trying to cheer him up by tempting him with some treats. Such as these delicious cookies! When I think of cookies, I don’t just think of an American term for British biscuits, I think of very large, round and slightly soft cookies as opposed to a classic Digestive or Hobnob that you would dunk in your tea. Cookies are perfect, for when a piece of cake just seems to decadent. But beware, they’re very more-ish!

IMG_8382

Ingredients (makes 12)

• 100g chopped walnuts
  • 125g soft, unsalted butter
  • 125g brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 medium egg
  • 2 small, ripe mashed bananas
  • 250g gluten free flour, e.g. from Dove’s Farm or Schär

IMG_8359

IMG_8362

Directions:

• Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
  • Dry roast the walnuts in a pan over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, shaking them occasionally so they don’t burn.
  • Cream together the butter, sugar and salt until the mixture is pale brown in colour. This is easiest with a mixer.
  • Mix in the egg and bananas, then stir in the flour by hand.
  • Fold in the roasted walnuts.
  • Line two baking trays with grease proof paper, divide 12 piles of batter  on to the trays using a tablespoon, and flatten with the back of the spoon. Leave some space in between, as the cookies will expand. If you don’t have two trays, you can do it in batches.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes each.

Alternatively, you can use a teaspoon and make around 20 small cookies.

IMG_8367

IMG_8363

10 Comments on Banana & Roasted Walnut Cookies

1. Laura
    May 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm (3 months ago)

These sound great. 3 of my favourite things in one cookie, so what’s not to love? Banana, Walnuts and Brown Sugar <3

Hope the bronchitis passes soon. I used to get a semi-regularly as a wee one, and it was never fun. Thankfully it has kept away from my adulthood… so far!

2. Sarah - let them be small
    June 21, 2017 at 6:25 am (4 weeks ago)

hope your little one is better soon. brochitis can’t be much fun. these look delicious. I might give them a go if we ever get some over ripe bananas! they get eaten to quickly here!

3. Jayne @ Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs
    June 21, 2017 at 10:16 am (4 weeks ago)

They look delicious! I hope that they cheered up your little one and that he feels better soon :)

4. Suzy McCullough
    June 21, 2017 at 12:36 pm (4 weeks ago)

These look and sound lovely. I hope they helped. Sorry he’s not very well. It’s never easy to see them poorly

5. Emma Lofthouse-Burch
    June 21, 2017 at 7:17 pm (4 weeks ago)

These look yummy. I love making cookies but have never added banana into the mix before x

6. Tooting Mama
    June 22, 2017 at 7:14 pm (4 weeks ago)

These look simply delicious!

7. Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...
    June 22, 2017 at 7:39 pm (4 weeks ago)

Hope your little one is better. None of my three have had much appetite this week with all the heat but always manage a biscuit or two!

8. Laura Clark
    June 22, 2017 at 9:27 pm (4 weeks ago)

These sound delicious, definitely going to add to my recipe pile x

9. Sarah Ann
    June 23, 2017 at 4:47 pm (4 weeks ago)

Hope your little one feels better soon. I love walnuts and use them in salads all the time but I had never thought about adding them to cookies. These sound delicious!

10. Lindseylondonmumma
    June 26, 2017 at 10:16 am (4 weeks ago)

These look and sound delicious, perfect afternoon treat.