Homemade Rhubarb Compote

There’s been loads of rhubarb popping up in our local fruit & veg shops. Last year we totally missed rhubarb season, so this year we jumped at the first sign of rhubarb and I made a big batch of yummy homemade compote that we’ve been dolloping on bowls full of Greek yoghurt for breakfast.

Ingredients

For a decent sized batch you need:

• 4 large stems of rhubarb, trimmed
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 Tbsp (or more) maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp water

Directions

• Chop the rhubarb and place in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
  • Cover and cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes until the rhubarb has softened and is starting to fall apart – stir frequently to stop it sticking to the bottom of the saucepan!
  • Mush everything together with a fork, and adjust the sweetness with more maple syrup if necessary.

My husband and I liked it just as it was, the boys poured some more maple syrup over their rhubarb yoghurt combo. Also tastes great with a handful of crunchy granola thrown in.

9 Comments on Homemade Rhubarb Compote

1. Jon
    21 May 2019 at 9:33 am (3 months ago)

Oh Crikey this looks amazing! Will have to show my Mum this as she loves all things Rhubarb

2. Talya
    21 May 2019 at 10:58 am (3 months ago)

I have to say I have never tried rhubarb crumble but I know it is in season so perhaps I’ll give it a whirl this summer.

21 May 2019 at 12:54 pm (3 months ago)

I wasn’t a fan of rhubarb when I was younger, probably beacause of a school pudding. But I actually really love the flavour now.

4. Mandi Morrison
    21 May 2019 at 1:12 pm (3 months ago)

I never really realised how simple this would be to make. I would love to give it a try, rhubarb is something I never really think about cooking with.

5. Lyndsey O'Halloran
    21 May 2019 at 5:10 pm (3 months ago)

This sounds delicious to have for breakfast. I’m rubbish at knowing when the seasons are for certain foods.

6. Sonia cave
    21 May 2019 at 5:40 pm (3 months ago)

I’m going to be trying this as mine always ends up a bit sour!! Our rhubarb won’t be ready for a few weeks yet but I like the breakfast idea

7. Marie
    21 May 2019 at 8:47 pm (3 months ago)

I love rhubarb- it really reminds me of my childhood. This looks lovely.

8. Lucy Mackcracken
    24 May 2019 at 10:00 am (3 months ago)

I love Rhubarb so this is ideal for me. My father in law grows it in his allotment so il ask him to pass us some along so we can make this up with some home grown rhubarb.

12 June 2019 at 1:34 pm (2 months ago)

This looks absolutely yummy, it has been a while since I last made compote at home. Thanks for the recipe.