More Summer Picture Book Reads for Kids
After partaking in our first BBQ of the year in Edinburgh, earlier this week (let’s not talk about the month’s worth of rain that came down the day before), and more ice-cream weather in Berlin today, I think we can say Summer is definitely well on its way. Time for another round-up of summer picture book reads for kids. So, clockwise, starting from the top:
- Curious George Goes to the Beach by Margret & H.A.Rey – We are big fans of Curious George, and this story of his cheeky antics on a trip to the beach doesn’t disappoint.
- This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers – This is not really a summer book as such, it’s a book that explores the concept of ownership. It features a boy called Wilfred, and a moose called Marcel. And illustrations that look like they are right out of a travel brochure for North America. If the illustrations don’t make you want to go on holiday right away, at least the sweet story will capture your heart. A must read, not just for fans of Oliver Jeffers.
- Das bunte Meer – Wo ist der Unterschied? by Nastja Holfreter – This cutely illustrated board book is one for the very little ones. The title translates to as much as ‘The colourful ocean – spot the difference’, and although there doesn’t seem to be an English translation available this shouldn’t matter as you don’t really need to be able to read the text. The concept is simple: on each page there is an ‘odd one out’ to spot in the picture.
- George’s Store at the Shore by Fancine Bassede – I picked up this super cutely illustrated book at a second hand book store in Berlin. It’s also available in English, but seems to be out of print in both languages. However, you can pick up copies from third party sellers on Amazon. Children can follow George as he sets up his summer store starting with one umbrella, two nets…all the way to ten.
- The House Takes a Vacation by Jaqueline Davies with illustrations by Lee White – This is one book we don’t actually own yet, but after reading the description it’s gone straight on to my wish list. After a family leave for vacation, their house decides it wants to go on vacation too. But the sunporch, the basement and the rest of the house can’t agree where to go. I love the premise!
Do you have any favourite summer picture book reads? Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments. And if you missed last year’s summer reads, you can find my previous post here >> Summer Holiday Reads for Kids
Please note, links marked with an * are affiliate links, which means if you shop via these links I will receive a small percentage of the revenue. Thank you.
Oh These are wonderful. My son looked at the Das Bunt Meer one on your page and wants it!the front cover seems very appealing to him, i shall look into getting it, he loves books!His favorite at the moment is “THE ZOO” he loves lifting the flaps and telling me whats underneath.He enjoys watching curious George, so the book perhaps will be something good to also get him, thanks for the ideas!
Can’t wait to try out the Colourful Ocean with my little one. I may also have to try the House Takes a Vacation too as that sounds fun!
Sarah - Craft Invaders
What a beautiful selection of books, I believe encouraging a love of books in kids is one of the best gifts you can give them. Both my kids adore reading and would be lost without a good book :)
Fashion and Style Police
My kids love picture books a lot. I am going check these all out.
These all look great. I used to love Curious George when I was a child.
I am so addicted to buying books for my daughter. Her shelves are so full we now have a trolley full of books too. She is as addicted to them as me. I really want to try the ‘The Moose That Belongs To Me’. The illustrations look lovely!
Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...
Not heard of any of these so thanks for sharing! I’ll take a look at them and others by the same authors
We are actually off to Waterstones today. So thank you for the fab recommendations.