‘Falscher Hase’ German Meat Loaf

If you’re looking for a way to use up those last leftover hard boiled Easter eggs, I have just the recipe for you! “Falscher Hase” – a typical German recipe which translates as “false hare” – is a special kind of meat loaf. It apparently takes its name from post-war times, when housewives cooking on rations wanted to make something special and wrapped whatever meat they had around eggs and formed a loaf resembling the shape of a hare or rabbit, which was a highly prized meat.

IMG_5758

IMG_5744

Ingredients:
(serves 4-6)

• 500g mince meat (half pork half beef works best, but either will do)
  • 50g fine bread crumbs (I use gluten free but regular is fine too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • pinch of salt
  • a good helping of cracked black pepper
  • 1 raw egg
  • 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter

IMG_5746

Directions:

Pre-heat your oven to 200 C.

Step 1: In a bowl, mash all the ingredients (except for the butter and hard boiled eggs) together until well mixed – I just use my hands for this. Then lay out some cellophane paper and with wet hands spread out the meat on top to a square of about 25 x 25 cm.

IMG_5748

Step 2: Peel the hard boiled eggs and arrange them down the middle of your square of meat, as shown above.

IMG_5749

Step 3: Fold the edges of the meat over to encase the eggs and mould the whole thing in to a loaf shape.

Step 4: Transfer your loaf on to a baking tray lined with grease proof paper and brush it all over with the melted butter.

IMG_5753

Step 5: Bake the meat loaf in the oven for 45 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave the loaf inside for another 15 minutes.

IMG_5756

Step 6: Cut the loaf in to slices to serve. Tastes great with salted potatoes and green peas.

9 Comments on ‘Falscher Hase’ German Meat Loaf

1. Typical Mummy
    25 April 2019 at 9:38 am (7 months ago)

Ooooh this looks yummy!! My Mum was reading an article to me yesterday about the benefits of eating at least 2 eggs a day and this would be a great recipe to use to do this!

2. Talya Stone
    25 April 2019 at 1:34 pm (7 months ago)

I wow this delicious! I have been meaning to make meatloaf recently so funny that this popped up.

3. Rosie
    25 April 2019 at 4:24 pm (7 months ago)

I’m currently trying out low carb eating and this is pretty perfect as a meal for that. Will give it a try.

25 April 2019 at 4:39 pm (7 months ago)

I love the story behind this. It is also great to find a new use for mince other than the usual cottage pie or bolognaise. I would love to try this.

5. sonia cave
    25 April 2019 at 5:59 pm (7 months ago)

This looks really tasty and doesn’t seem to hard to make either. I have never heard of it until now, but certainly something different for me to try and make for the hungry masses here!

6. Lucy Mackcracken
    25 April 2019 at 8:13 pm (7 months ago)

We have got some German friends coming to stay with us soon so it will be nice to cook some traditional recipes for them. This looks super easy and I like that once made it could be enjoyed hot or cold on a picnic.

7. Lyndsey O'Halloran
    25 April 2019 at 8:30 pm (7 months ago)

My husband would love this. He’d eat anything with an egg in it I think.

8. Lisa
    26 April 2019 at 3:11 pm (7 months ago)

Oh that sounds quite nice, like a long scotch egg x

9. Playdays and Runways
    27 April 2019 at 9:36 am (7 months ago)

I’m not a big fan on meat but my boys would love this.