Roasted Almond, Coconut & Chocolate Granola
Do you ever find yourself falling in to the rut of eating the same old thing for breakfast every morning? I mean, I LOVE porridge, but sometimes I find myself needing an alternative for getting my daily portion of oats, so when I find the time, I like to bake a big batch of granola. And if’ I’m feeling really decadent, I’ll make it the chocolate kind. This roasted almond, coconut & chocolate granola is one of my favourites – and the boys all love it too :)
- 100g almonds, roughly chopped
- 125ml water
- 125g brown sugar
- 100g dark chocolate* (85% cocoa), broken in to pieces
- 50ml rapeseed oil
- 3 Tbsp runny honey
- 1 pinch of salt
- 500g gluten free oats
- 100g desiccated coconut
*If you are following a strict gluten free diet, make sure to double check your chocolate is gluten free!
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C
- Dry roast the almonds in a frying pan over medium heat, tossing constantly to avoid burning, until they turn golden.
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, then stir in the sugar, turn down the heat and keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Take the saucepan off the heat, and stir in the oil, honey, chocolate and pinch of salt. Keep stirring until the chocolate has dissolved.
- In a large bowl, mix together the porridge oats, coconut and almonds.
- Pour the liquid ingredients in to the dry ingredients, then thoroughly mix them until the dry ingredients are well coated.
- Line two baking trays with grease proof paper, and evenly spread out your mixture.
- Bake each tray in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, shaking the mixture around a bit about half way through. You’ll need to keep a close eye on it, since the chocolate makes it more difficult to tell if it’s starting to burn.
- Leave to cool – it will crisp up a bit more as it cools – then store in a seal jar or tin. It should keep for a month or two, but ours never lasts that long.
- I love to serve this layered over a dollop of orange marmalade and some Greek yoghurt!