Favourite Picture Books About Planes
We may not have finished sorting out our new house yet, but we have finished unpacking all the books. And you know what that means, don’t you? Friday Five book recommendations are back! The boys were really excited to be heading off in to their new life on a plane, so I thought a round up of favourite plane books would be appropriate. Including both some old favourites, and a couple of new ones I got the boys for the trip. So, clockwise, starting from the top:
- Airport, by Byron Barton – This books only seems to be available through third party sellers now, but it’s the first plane book I ever got for my boys, when we took Oskar to the USA for the first time in 2013, so I has to include it. It has big, bold illustrations and short and simple sentences. Perfect for introducing a toddler to the different stages of airport travel.
- Planes and Rockets and Things That Fly, by Richard Scarry – Not strictly just about planes, but we love Richard Scarry. We already had his ‘Cars and Trucks and Things That Go’, so I got Oskar this one for the plane trip to Scotland. Featuring all of Scarry’s favourite characters, and the attention to detail you would expect from his books.
- Maisy Goes by Plane, by Lucy Cousins – Good old Maisy. It’s almost impossible to do a book round up without here, as she’s got a book handy for almost every situation. But the boys love her, especially the little one.
- That’s Not My Plane, by Fiona Watt – We don’t actually own this one any more, as Mr Fox outgrew it so we passed it on, but this title from Usborne’s popular touchy-feely series is perfect for a very little one’s first plane ride.
- A Day at the Animal Airport, by Sharon Rentta – This is another new addition to our library, it’s the book I got Mr Fox for our plane journey over to Scotland. Follow the Koala Family on their trip to Koala Lumpur, including their stops at check-in, security and duty free. There are many other clever puns included, which probably appeal more to the adults than the kids, but the funny illustrations are bound to charm both kids and grown-ups alike. It’s become an instant favourite at bedtime in our house!
Do you have any favourite picture books to recommend for plane journeys? Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments.
Please note, all links in this post are Affiliate links, which means if you shop via these links I will receive a small percentage of the revenue. Thank you.
That’s not my plane was one of pickles favourite books when he was little. He loved that entire range actually :)
Great books! We have the That’s not my plane book too
A great selection of books – I have a soft spot for Masie!
I definitely need some of these for Evie’s bookshelves. We’re always going travelling and she loves flying! They’d be great for an in-flight bag too. x
Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...
I love the ‘That’s not my…’ series :) We haven’t travelled by plane so these would be a fun introduction
A great selection. Will have to get one of these since we flew to turkey last month my toddler loves planes but we don’t have any books about them.
Fashion and Style Police
Lovely selection of books here. My kids are obsessed with planes. Will check these out.
Such cute looking books, my friend’s son is obsessed with planes and I bet he’d love these books x
Sarah - let them be small
we love Richard Scarry here too! such brilliant and engaging books
I did have an airport one that I passed onto a friend. It was a lift flap book and went through all the different aspects of going on a plane journey. We may be going away end of the year and so Will have to concider these books for when we do as Lily has never flown before.
Great idea for a post. There are so many children that are obsessed with one particular thing so this is a great resource for plane mad kids