#KidsBooksBingo Summer Reading Challenge

So, we have made it through the first week of our summer holidays. Have your summer holidays started yet, or are they still ahead of you? The thing I loved most about the summer holidays, as a kid, was the endless time to read, and my little bookworms look to be following in my footsteps. This prompted me to launch a summer reading challenge, which I’m co-hosting with my lovely friend Amanda who runs the online children’s bookstore Books & PiecesTogether, we’ve come up with a Kids Books BINGO – here’s a little intro I recorded to tell you some more about it:

>> Download the #KidsBooksBINGO grid

If you’re a really keen bookworm, you could combine your summer reading for the Kids Books BINGO with a couple of other reading challenges taking place over the summer.

Space Chase Summer Reading Challenge

For those in the UK, the Reading Agency along with libraries across the country host a Summer Reading Challenge every year, always with a different theme. This year’s theme is “Space Chase”. You need to sign up at your nearest library, and you need to read six library books over the summer and record them in a little leaflet that you get, along with a book mark.

The books can be about anything you like – fiction, non fiction, picture book, chapter books, graphic novels. You choose! For every completed book you also get some stickers to add to your leaflet, and once you’ve completed the whole thing you get a little prize. Last year, the boys got a certificate, a medal, and some super cool pens for writing secret messages with.

Toppsta Summer Reading Bingo

For the Toppsta Summer Reading Bingo, you also have to  read six books, for six given categories (a picture book, a funny book, an illustrated book, a book about adventure or magic, a non-fiction/reference book and a gripping story). You could even win a £50 Smiggle voucher if you complete the challenge! They also have some other just-for-fun categories on their bingo grid too, like reading a book in the dark with a torch or reading outside in a den.

For those who haven’t heard of Toppsta before, it’s the UK’s leading children’s book review community with over 45,000 reviews on their site so far. They’ve put together a free 12-page pack which includes their bingo grid, along with some reading recommendations plus two additional bingo grids specifically for Roald Dahl and Dork Diaries books.

>> Download the Toppsta Summer Reading Bino Pack

Have a great summer everyone, and happy reading!

Book Bairn

10 Comments on #KidsBooksBingo Summer Reading Challenge

1. Lyndsey O'Halloran
    5 July 2019 at 5:33 pm (3 weeks ago)

What a great idea to help children to read different things and to do different things too!

2. Zoe
    5 July 2019 at 11:26 pm (3 weeks ago)

I absolutely LOVE this. My boys are avid readers and would complete this in no time. My youngest has just started her reading journey and I think this would be a valuable addition to our school holiday itinerary! Thank you

3. Wendy
    7 July 2019 at 8:31 am (2 weeks ago)

Love this idea!! I’m going to do this with my eldest, he loves books so think he’s love this bingo xx

4. Alexandra Cook
    8 July 2019 at 1:33 am (2 weeks ago)

That sounds so nice. Such a great way to encourage our kids to read more. My boys will enjoy this so much.

5. Stephanie
    8 July 2019 at 7:26 pm (2 weeks ago)

Brilliant ideas! Kids love a challenge don’t they and love to tick things off

6. Kelly
    8 July 2019 at 10:38 pm (2 weeks ago)

My little girl has just started reading and I think that this is a wonderful idea for a challenge. Sounds so good.

7. Anne
    15 July 2019 at 1:58 pm (1 week ago)

What a fabulous idea, I’m defintely including reading time during our Summer holiday (which starts on Friday, yay) and I may even print off a Reading Bingo Chart for them.
    #KLTR

8. Rachael
    15 July 2019 at 2:57 pm (1 week ago)

This sounds like loads of fun and I’m so tempted to take part, but have so many books I really need to read first! That said, there’s always Peapod’s picture books… #KLTR

9. Bec @IshMotherBec
    16 July 2019 at 6:30 pm (7 days ago)

We’ve already printed off the Toppsta bingo card and another one by Books For Topics but I really like how yours encourages children to read more widely by suggesting different topics and settings. My daughter reads so fast I may well need a third bingo card for her to do! #KLTR

10. Kim (@BookBairn)
    20 July 2019 at 11:38 am (3 days ago)

What a great idea! Love it! Thanks for linking up with #KLTR