Easy-peasy Origami Cat Tutorial

Konnichiwa! We’ve got a very exciting trip coming up. My husband is working in Tokyo for three months, so I’m taking the boys over to see him in a couple of weeks, over February half term break. It will be my fourth trip to Japan (my husband and I actually met in Japanese night class, so we’ve taken a couple of trips there together), but it’s the first time for the kids. In anticipation of our trip, we’ve been reading up about Japanese culture and Oskar really wanted to do some origami. And then he suggested we make a video of it (that boy has really got the video making bug!) So, here is our easy-peasy tutorial to folding origami cat heads!

It really is very easy. All you need are some bits of square paper, and some pens to decorate your cats afterwards. It just takes a few simple folds to create the cat heads – we ended up with a whole army of cats! If you use different sizes of paper, you can make kittens too. Oskar managed to fold the origami all by himself, though my 4 yr old needed some help. For younger kids, you could also fold some cats in advance and just let the kids decorate them, but it’s also quite fun for little ones to get involved in helping to press down the folds, even if they can’t do the whole thing by themselves. Here’s an overview of the folding steps, for quick reference:

I hope you have fun making your own army of origami cats! I’d love to see if you do – please feel free to share your pictures with me on social media, and to tag me in on Instagram and Twitter.

Pin for Later

7 Comments on Easy-peasy Origami Cat Tutorial

1. Sonia Cave
    January 29, 2019 at 4:55 pm (3 weeks ago)

You have a little vlogger in the making!! Fabulous origami and I hope you have an amazing trip to see your other half x

January 29, 2019 at 6:10 pm (3 weeks ago)

We love cats! These are super cute and simple too. We will be giving these a try.

3. Laura Dove
    January 29, 2019 at 10:14 pm (3 weeks ago)

Oh I love this!! I used to really enjoy origami, I havent done it for a while but my kids would adore this!

4. Sonia
    January 30, 2019 at 9:07 am (3 weeks ago)

Oh I love these! My kids have spent ages with origami over the years. I think their favourite things to make are bookmarks x

5. Epiphannie
    January 30, 2019 at 10:03 am (3 weeks ago)

I’ve never been to Japan – although it is on my list of places to go in 2020 – I remember learning origami in Secondary school so I find this post so cute (even though I haven’t done it for a while)

6. Katy Stevens
    January 30, 2019 at 12:00 pm (3 weeks ago)

Oh these look like so much fun! I’ve saved this so I can try it with my daughter later in the week!

7. wendy
    January 31, 2019 at 7:32 am (2 weeks ago)

Have a lovely time in Japan! I’d love to visit one day. These cats are so sweet, might try them out with my five year old xx