Best Birthday Picture Books
November is birthday month for us, with both boys having their birthday within ten days of each other. So I thought it would be the perfect opportunity, to share some of our favourite picture books about birthdays with you. Without further ado, clockwise starting from the top:
- The Best Birthday Present Ever, by Ben Mantle – Mr Fox loves his sticks. He has a favourite ‘big stick’ he takes to nursery every day, and if we didn’t have a ‘no sticks in the house’ rule, he’d probably take it to bed too. So when I came across this book, I just had to get it for him. It’s Bear’s Birthday, and Squirrel wants to give his friend the best birthday present ever. He’s worried that his present will pale in comparison to the other cool things Bear has been, but Squirrel’s present turns out to be the best of them all. Have you guessed what it is yet? Yes, a stick!
- How Many Sleeps Till My Birthday, by Mark Sperring & Sebastien Braun – The title of this book says it all. Every parent will be able to relate to it. I’ve been hearing nothing else for weeks. Another sweet story from Papa Grizzle and Little Pip. There is a Christmas version of this too.
- The Birthday Invitation, by Lucy Rowland & Laura Hughes – It’s Ella’s birthday, and while she is out delivering invitations to her party, she accidentally drops one. After a whole host of wonderful characters, including a wizard, a pirate, a knight and a pilot, she ends up with some unexpected extra guests. But it turns out to be a great celebration.
- Boa’s Bad Birthday, by Jeanne Willis & Tony Ross – This is one we read at the library. It’s Boa’s birthday. He is hoping it will be the best birthday ever and that he will get lots of wonderful presents, but instead his friends keep giving him things he can’t make any use of, like a piano when he has no fingers to play it. Poor Boa. A funny story that teaches kids to be thankful when they receive gifts from others, even when they are not gifts that are necessarily wanted.
- It’s My Birthday, by Helen Oxenbury – And, finally, another book we read at the library. What is a birthday without a cake? In this sweet little story, a little boy wants to make a cake for his birthday, and all his animals friends help him.
What are your favourite picture books about birthdays? Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments below!
Please note that the book links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. That means if you buy any books via these links, I receive a small percentage – at no extra cost to you! – which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you.