Whether picnic, BBQ or party, next to Germany’s favourite Kartoffelsalat, a Nudelsalat (pasta salad) is never far away. It’s also great on hot days like this – we’re currently in the middle of a heat wave with temperatures around 35 C – where you can cook the pasta the evening before after the weather has cooled down, and then just throw everything together after work the next day and you have dinner for about two days. This recipe comes courtesy of my brother. Serves 4-6 adults as a summer meal, or more if it’s just a side dish.
- 250g cooked and cooled pasta (I used gluten free fusilli)
- 4-6 gherkins (depending on how small or big they are)
- 1 small tin of peas (aprox. 150g drained) or alternatively defrosted frozen peas
- 1 “Fleischwurst” (aprox. 200g) – I’ve sometimes seen them in the UK, but if you have trouble getting any then alternatively you could chop up some hotdog sausages
- 1 small red pepper & 1 small yellow pepper
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 small jar of “Miracle Whip” (250ml) or an equivalent salad mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
- Chop up the gherkins, Fleischwurst and peppers, and mix with the cooled pasta and peas.
- Mix together the salad mayonnaise, vegetable oil and milk and season with salt and pepper. If the dressing seems too thick, add a little more milk.
- Mix the dressing in to the salad – all done!
- As a finishing touch, cut the hard boiled eggs in to quarters and arrange on top of the salad (I forgot to do this before taking the photo, and remembered the eggs half way through eating – d’oh…)