Books My 6 Year Old Loves
The boys love scrolling through my photos on Instagram, and when my older boy saw the collages from my book recommendation posts, he asked ‘What’s that?’ So I told him. He looked through them all, and spotted the one of Books for 2 Year Olds. His next question was, ‘Why is there not one with books for 6 year olds?’ So, here it is! He even chose the books for it himself. Clockwise, starting from the top:
- On Sudden Hill, by Linda Sarah (author) and Benji Davis (illustrator) – This is one of his absolute favourite picture books right now, and the first one he picked for this round up. It’s a moving childhood story of two best friends, and what happens when a new boy joins them. Also, my boy now wants to build his own Mr Climbfierce, but if you want to know what that’s all about, you’ll need to read the book!
- The Dark, by Lemony Snicket (author) and Jon Klassen (illustrator) – This story follows Laszlo, who is afraid of the dark, and what happens when the dark – which mostly spends its time in the basement – visits Laszlo’s room one night. A great book to help children overcome any fear of the dark.
- Jacob O’Reilly Wants a Pet, by Lynne Rickards (author) and Lee Wildish (illustrator) – This rhyming story really struck a chord with my boy, as he’d really love a pet too but a) our rental contract doesn’t allow pets and b) daddy is allergic to almost everything. Will Jacob have any more luck persuading his parents? Read the book to find out!
- Wolfie the Bunny, by Ame Dyckman (author) and Zachariah OHora (illustrator) – There are many books out there about becoming an older brother or sister, but what when you are a bunny and your new little brother is a wolf? Big sister Dot is not very happy, and convinced Wolfie will end up eating them all. Until the day, her little brother is the one in danger. A sweet and funny story about family, relationships and acceptance. The illustrations are adorable too.
- You Can’t Take an Elephant on the Bus, by Patricia Cleveland-Peck (author) and David Tazzyman (illustrator) – Finally, another rhyming story. Find out why you can’t take an elephant on a bus, a tiger on a train or a camel on a boat. My boy thinks it’s hilarious, and has fun making up other animal rhymes of his own.
Do you have any book recommendations that a 6 year old would love? Please do feel free to share them in the comments below!
Please note that all the book links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. That means if you buy any books via these links, I receive a small percentage – at no extra cost to you! – which helps to keep this blog running.