More Foxy Books For Foxy Kids
As you can maybe imagine, we have a bit of a soft spot for foxes here on The Bear & The Fox. So we were delighted when Thames & Hudson sent us one of their latest picture book releases for review. It’s all about a very special fox, and became an instant favourite. The book prompted us to do a follow up to our previous selection of ‘Foxy Books for Foxy Kids’, so here are a few more of our foxy favourites:
- The Fox on the Swing, by Evelina Daciūtė (author) & Aušra Kiudulaitė (illustrator) – This book is about a boy who makes friends with a fox, and suddenly his life begins to take on meaning. But things change when the boy moves away. I don’t really want to give too much away, but suffice to say, it’s a book about friendship, about dreams, about loss, and about the importance of seeking happiness in the little things of life. The illustrations are both beautiful and quirky, with lots of little details to look out for. It’s quite a long picture book, but both boys were completely enthralled with it from start to finish. Many thanks to Thames & Hudson for sending us a free review copy.
- Harquin, by John Burningham – We have the German edition, in English it’s called ‘Harquin’ or ‘Harquin: the fox who went down to the valley’. It features a family of foxes, who lives in peace on a hillside. Daddy fox always warns the little foxes not to venture down to the valley, or the huntsmen will catch them, just like their uncle. But Harquin ignores his father’s warning and the inevitable happens. Will Harquin be able to escape the fox hunt, or will life on the hill as they know it be over for the foxes? A cautionary foxy tale, about the wisdom of listening to your parents!
- The Noisy Foxes, by Amy Husband – This book features a family of noisy foxes, who live in a very noisy house in a very noisy city. One day, they decide to move to the countryside in search of some quiet, but nowhere seems to be quite right. Until mouse finds the perfect place for them – can you guess where it is? This is a classic tale, about how the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, and I love the collage style of the illustrations.
- The Fox and the Wild, by Clive McFarland- This is another story, about a fox wanting to move away from the city. Fred the fox was born in the city, but he finds life there too smoky, too noisy and too fast. One day he meets a bird, who tells him she’s from “the wild”. So Fred sets off on a mission to find the wild, but keeps running in to dead ends. Will he ever find what he is looking for? This is a lovely wee story about perseverance, and once again, I love the illustrations.
- The Fox and the Star, by Coralie Bickford-Smith – Last but not least, this book is about a timid little fox, who lives in a deep, dense forest, with a star who lights his way at night as his only friend. Until one night, everything changes. It’s dark when Fox wakes up, and he has to face the forest alone. He goes in search of his star, all the way to the edge of the forest. He doesn’t find his friend, but he finds something more beautiful instead. This is a visually stunning fable, with a subtle message about overcoming grief. My 3 year old wasn’t so fussed about this one, but my 7 year old who loves his art was really taken with how beautiful this book is.
Don’t forget, The Bear & The Fox now has its own YouTube channel! You can find a video of this week’s book round-up, where I talk you through this week’s recommendations and give a bit more insight in to each book! Check it out here >> Happiness is a Fox | Picture Book Round-up Of course, I’d also be really grateful if you would subscribe. Thanks!
Do you have any other favourite books about Foxes? Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments below!
Please note that all the book links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. That means if you buy any books via these links, I receive a small percentage – at no extra cost to you! – which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you.
Amy - All about a Mummy
The cover of the Fox and the Star is just magical. Makes me want to read it immediately! Great roundup!
Siobhan | The Baby Boat Diaries
These all sound lovely! I’ve not heard of any of these and I’m always on the hunt for new books for the kids! x
Who knew there were so many books about foxes?! We’ve not read any of these,actually I don’t think we own a single children’s book about a fox!x
Ger ( It's Me & Ethan)
Oh these are just lovely. The illistrations are stunning. I remember reading about the fox and the hound as a child ,that is the only book I can remember with a fox in it I’m currently adding to my little guys book collection , think these will definitely be loved !
oh this will be a great list when we do a project about foxes next month!
You can’t forget Fantastic Mr. Fox :) What a great collection of books! I miss reading things like this with my kids.
Fantastic Mr Fox is one of our all time favourites too! It featured in the first round of favourite fox books that I did a while ago :) You can find the link to it in the intro of this post.
These look like a lovely collection of books. Our littlest grandson loves books about animals so i’m sure he’d enjoy these. He enjoys reading books on his own now but he also enjoys having a bedtime story read to him.
Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl
These sound like fab books! My little one is getting into reading at the moment and these sound like something he would enjoy for sure. Going to have to try get my hands on some.
Awww these books sound so lovely. My daughter is obsessed with foxes at the moment. We’ll definitely be picking up some of these picture book ones. x
These all sound great, especially The Fox and The Star. My kids all love books about animals.