Museum Memories Day 2019

As I mentioned in my Museum Monday post earlier this week, it’s International Museum Day on 18th May. Since 2011, every year in the lead up to International Museum Day, I have been running an online event called <Museum Memories Day> asking people to share their most memorable museum moments on Twitter. In its first year, Museum Memories Day – or #MusMem as it has become known – was a global success, trending in twelve countries worldwide. It’s back this year again by popular demand, taking place today on Wednesday 15th May, and this year it’s being co-hosted by my friend Mar over at Culture Themes.

Whether you love visiting museums or maybe even work in one, everyone is invited to tweet their museum memories with the hashtag #MusMem. Your earliest museum visit? The first time you saw an Egyptian mummy up close? Your first museum job? The first museum you took your kids to? Maybe you got engaged or even married in a museum?

Whatever your most lasting museum memories were, we want to hear about them! And this year we are again encouraging everyone to tweet in their own language, if they like. We feel it opens up the topic even more, as memories and language are both very emotionally connected. Thanks to the Twitter translate function, it’s easy for anyone to follow along. Just make sure you use the hash #MusMem as it is, so we can still find all the tweets :)

See you on Twitter!

PS: If you’re not on Twitter, feel free to share your most memorable museum moments in the comments below instead!

9 Comments on Museum Memories Day 2019

1. Ger (It's Me & Ethan )
    15 May 2019 at 11:57 am (1 week ago)

There are so many great museums here in Ireland and most are free which I feel is vital for everyone, there’s nothing like walking through a museum and feeling the history eh ?!

2. Jon
    15 May 2019 at 1:44 pm (1 week ago)

My lasting memory is being taken to the science museam as a kid! This was the first time we went to one where you can play and interact with everything!

3. Rebecca jones
    15 May 2019 at 3:23 pm (1 week ago)

I’ll be nipping over to join you on twitter – but I’ve got many happy memories of visiting museums in London when I was a child. My earliest memory is seeing the Tutankhamun exhibition at British museum. The gold death mask was incredible, huge and v shiny (I was six). Life long love of museums since then.

4. Sarah Stockley
    15 May 2019 at 6:32 pm (1 week ago)

I really want to take my kids to the V&A soon, I haven’t been there since college. I love museums, I will have to remember to tweet!

15 May 2019 at 6:51 pm (1 week ago)

What a great idea. I loved visiting museums in my childhood and I really love taking my children to the ones I loved.

6. Lyndsey O'Halloran
    15 May 2019 at 8:07 pm (1 week ago)

We took Erin to her first museum recently and she had such a good time! She was so excited about everything.

7. lucy mackcracken
    15 May 2019 at 8:29 pm (1 week ago)

We love taking our daughter to museums, especially ones that are interactive and let children get hands on. We are visiting the Think Tank in Birmingham this weekend to preview their brand new minibrum childrens area.

8. Kelly-Anne
    16 May 2019 at 9:11 pm (6 days ago)

We went to our local museum a few week backs and it was so amazing go through and seeing all the amazing things. We attended on a special day so there’s lots of memories to take away.

9. Tracey Kifford
    17 May 2019 at 2:34 pm (6 days ago)

As a child I never really visited museums as my brother was disabled and it was difficult going out places. As a parent myself, I’ve been catching up on all I missed …we are in museums ALL THE TIME!