Recycled Christmas Card Gift Tags

So, yesterday we took down the Christmas decorations. My 4 year old was really upset that Christmas is finally over for another year. To cheer him up, I thought we could do a fun craft activity, so we recycled all the Christmas cards we had just taken down, and made them in to gift tags ready for next Christmas!

We had an assortment of tools at our disposal, including regular scissors, ‘crinkle cut’ scissors, a fancy hole punch tool that makes holes in different sizes, and another punch tool for rounding corners. But really all you need is a pair of scissors, and a regular office hole punch will also do.

We cut some of the cards into tag-sized rectangles, and rounded off the corners. You can round the corners off with scissors, if you don’t have a corner punch tool, or you can leave them unrounded. I just think it looks nicer.

For other cards, we used the ‘crinkle cut’ scissors to cut more rounded shapes. This worked particularly well for cutting character out of scenes, like the snowman and the bear below.

Then we punched holes in to all our cut out tags…

…and as a last step, we cut lengths of twine and threaded them through the holes. Voila! A bunch of gift tags, all ready for next Christmas. If you want to take the recycling one step further, you could also reuse any string left over from unwrapping presents and thread that through the tags.

9 Comments on Recycled Christmas Card Gift Tags

1. Sonia
    January 8, 2019 at 3:07 pm (1 week ago)

This is such a great idea and very organised of you too. I let my trio use the cards for art and craft projects making collages with the bits they cut out

2. Stephanie
    January 8, 2019 at 10:08 pm (1 week ago)

This is such a quick and simple craft to do isn’t it, great way of using up the cards and ready for next year
    Stephanie recently posted…Christmas In ScotlandMy Profile

3. Marie Blake
    January 9, 2019 at 10:08 am (1 week ago)

I always used to do this as a child – I must do it again. I still have all my Christmas cards in a box so I’ll do it!

4. Amy - All about a Mummy
    January 9, 2019 at 10:55 am (1 week ago)

We’ve kept all our cards this year to do this. We also moved to brown paper wrapping this year to be fully recyclable.

5. Melanie williams
    January 9, 2019 at 5:39 pm (1 week ago)

Haha it is funny you have done this, because I did the exact same thing this year and will continue to do so. Great way to eliminate waste xx

6. Cath - Passports and Adventures
    January 9, 2019 at 5:56 pm (1 week ago)

That’s a brilliant way to recycle Christmas cards. I never thought of doing that but will be keeping this year’s cards to do it next January.

7. Lauren Porter
    January 9, 2019 at 6:39 pm (1 week ago)

I used to do this every year before I had kids – I’m now 3 Christmases behind haha, but I do have them all ready for when I have an hour!

8. Katie
    January 9, 2019 at 7:29 pm (1 week ago)

OMG we always did this when I was little. I totally forgot but this has brought it all back. I used to love finding the prettiest cards and cutting them into tags.

Katie xoxo

9. Sonia
    January 10, 2019 at 9:56 am (1 week ago)

I do this too! They always look so pretty and such a fab way to recycle Christmas cards x
    Sonia recently posted…Looking Back on 2018My Profile