11 July 2012
Spaghetti bolognese, affectionately known as spag bols, an eternal favourite. Here’s an easy midweek meal way to give it a slight gourmet upgrade. Depending on how your week is going, you ca enjoy the rest of wine with dinner, or save it for Friday night^^
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- vegetable oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- one packet of beef mince (ca. 400g)
- 1 large glass red wine
- half a dozen medium sized mushrooms
- 1 tin/ packet passata or chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- parmesan to serve (optional)
Plus enough spaghetti for three to four people (we usually go with 100g per adult), and I use gluten free spaghetti.
- Fry the crushed garlic in a pan with the vegetable oil for a couple of minutes over a medium heat – careful not to let it burn!
- Add the mince and fry until starting to brown all over.
- Pour in the red wine and leave to cook until all the wine has boiled down.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes until they start to shrink.
- Stir in the passata/ tinned tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper, and cook through for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of spaghetti and top generously with finely grated parmesan.