18 July 2012
I love lasagne! But making a wheat free or gluten free version is not that easy. You can get gluten free lasagne plates, but they’re not easy to track down and when you do find them, they’re really expensive. Add to that the fact that most brands you need to pre boil first, you can’t just use them straight out the box like regular (i.e. non gluten free) lasagne plates. And the bechamel sauce also involves using flour, so more substituting required. Suddenly, it doesn’t seem at all like a quick midweek meal to make.
But then the other week the husband had a brain wave. He was making nachos, and had been a bit heavy handed on the sauce, so that the tortilla crisps/chips went all soggy. And the layers of soggy crisps and meaty tomato sauce resembled, you’ve guessed it, lasagne quite a bit. Now, Italians will tell you it’s not lasagne if you don’t make it with lasagne pasta, but the gluten free version is made of maize flour anyway, the same as the tortilla chips, so that’s a good enough excuse for me ;-) And for a quick alternative to bechamel sauce we just used tubs of creme fraiche. Cheat’s lasagne sorted!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- ca. 400g beef mince
- half a dozen medium sized mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes or tomato passata (ca. 400g)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 party sized bag of plain or salted tortilla crisps/ chips
- 2 tubs of creme fraiche (ca. 400ml in total)
- 200g grated cheese, e.g. mozzarella or cheddar
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C (fan oven 180°C).
- Make your sauce. For this, fry the crushed garlic in the olive oil for a minute, then add the mince and cook until browned all over. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 further minutes. Stir in your tomatoes, the oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
- Now layer up! In an oven proof dish, start with a layer of tortilla crisps, then about a third of your sauce, followed by a third of your creme fraiche and third of your cheese. Repeat the layers until you’ve used up all your sauce (it’s ok if there are some crisps left over, you can keep the rest to snack on at the weekend^^).
- Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Tastes very nice with a cucumber and dill side salad.