With the Eurovision Song Contest coming up this weekend, I thought this called for a post on the most German of all party foods: Kartoffelsalat & Würstchen. I wonder whether our friends back in Scotland ever became sick of being served this at almost every single one of our parties (including our wedding!).
Ingredients (served 6-8)
- 1kg potatoes
- one large apple
- about a dozen radishes
- 2-3 large pickled gherkins
- 200g creme fraiche
- 200g gluten free mayonnaise
- 1 scant teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- Boil the potatoes in salted water (you can peel them if you like, but if they have quite thin skin you can leave the skin on). Leave to cool.
- Core the apple and chop into little chunks; Slice the radishes; Cut the gherkins into little chunks.
- Mixed the chopped fruit & vegetables with the cooled potatoes.
- Mix the creme fraiche, mayonnaise and mustard to make the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to think it down to the consistency you’d like.
Serve with hot dogs or Wiener Würstchen.