28 October 2011
As a follow on from yesterday’s muffin post, I thought I’d mention the 120 muffins we baked for our wedding two years ago (BIG help from my mother and sister)! We ended up with five different flavours: banana, blueberry, orange, coconut and chocolate & beetroot. As with any baking in our house, they were all gluten free.
Most people would think it crazy to spend the afternoon before your wedding mass producing muffins, but you can’t take a girl away from her baking. And, as you can see below, we also had a bit of fun along the way.
The most popular of the five flavours at the wedding proved to be the blueberry ones (though banana are my personal favourite), so here’s the recipe. It may be difficult to get fresh blueberries at this time of year, but you can also use frozen ones or substitute with tinned or frozen cherries or raspberries.
- 250 g (gluten free) flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp (gluten free) baking powder
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 150ml sour cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g fresh or frozen blueberries
- Pre-heat over to 180°C/370°F/Gas 5
- Stir together all the dry ingredients in a bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl (except the blueberries)
- Stir together all the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the blueberries
- Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases and spoon in mixture
- Bake for 20-25 mins (I always check after 15 and then bake for another 5 mins at a time)
- Allow to cool for at least 5 mins before removing from muffin tray
- Allow muffins to cool fully before decorating them with icing (I speak from experience!)
Eat and enjoy!