5 Picture Books for Father’s Day

Friday Five - Fathers Day

We’ve already celebrated Father’s Day in Germany this year last month, but it’s Father’s Day in the UK (and also the US and other places) this coming weekend, so for the latest edition of my Friday Five book roundup, I’ve put together some of our favourite picture books for dads – plus one that’s on our wish list. So, clockwise starting from the top:

• My Daddy Snores by Nancy H. Rothstein with illustrations by Stephen Gilpin – This books seems to be out of print, but it’s worth getting a hold of a copy from third party sellers because it’s hilarious! Especially if your daddy snores too, like ours does (sorry dad, your secret is out…) The boys gave it him for German Father’s Day last month and it’s been a bedtime favourite since then.
  • Daddy is My Hero by Dawn Richards with illustrations by Jane Massey – This is one of the first ever Father’s Day gifts we got for our daddy. In the story, a child dresses up with their daddy and they go on some great imaginary adventures. The illustrations are lovely, and I particularly like that the child could be a boy or a girl, so all children can identify with the child in the story.
  • Every Friday by Dan Yaccarino – This book is about the walk a little boy and his father take every Friday, to have pancakes at their favourite diner. The walking through their neighbourhood together is just as special to them as the food they have at the end of it.
  • Night Driving by John Coy with illustrations by Peter McCarty – Another ‘father and son’ story, this book follows their all-night road trip to the mountains, and the special bond that ensues. Makes you want to jump right in to a car and hit the road!
  • Just Like Daddy by Lucy Freegard – And, finally, this one is on our wish list. For one, it features cute raccoon illustrations. For another, it’s a sweet story about wanting to be just like daddy, who is both strong and silly, practical and kind, and knows how to have fun.

Do you have any favourite picture books to recommend for Father’s Day? Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments.

Please note, all links in this post are Affiliate links, which means if you shop via these links I will receive a small percentage of the revenue. Thank you.

10 Comments on 5 Picture Books for Father’s Day

1. Helen
    June 19, 2017 at 9:27 am (1 month ago)

I’ve not come across any of these books before, but they looks lovely. The illustrations in children’s books make all the difference :)

2. The Culinary Jumble
    June 19, 2017 at 10:24 am (1 month ago)

Ah, I love that there’s books specifically for dads – and how perfect for Father’s Day!

3. Angela Milnes
    June 19, 2017 at 10:32 am (1 month ago)

These are good suggestions. I do like the list of books and think my daughter would enjoy these too!

4. Rhian Westbury
    June 19, 2017 at 2:54 pm (1 month ago)

I didn’t know that in Germany father’s day had already happened, some cute books here x

5. Rachel George, Ordinary Hopes
    June 19, 2017 at 10:01 pm (1 month ago)

I so need a copy of “My Daddy Snores.” I had to sleep in my son’s bedroom the other night because of the noise from Daddy!

6. Cath - BattleMum
    June 20, 2017 at 10:26 am (1 month ago)

They sound like lovely books. The snoring one would be very apt for BattleDad!

7. the Frenchie Mummy
    June 20, 2017 at 4:05 pm (1 month ago)

Daddy is My Hero looks so sweet! I would love to check it out

8. Vanina
    June 20, 2017 at 4:25 pm (1 month ago)

Hello there
    All the books that you recommend looks so interesting but honestly I really have no idea from where I could be able to find and buy them. Can you share some english library or bookstores with us?
    My son witch is 3yrs adore his library but since we moved we don’t have any new books (okay only few but they are on German so we bought them because of the beautiful illustrations inside ) However I did’t know that in Germany they do celebrate Father’s day, because they don’t celebrate 1st June witch is international Children day ( me and my son were so disappointed from that fact ) But my husband will be very surprised if we found some of this books that you recommended .
    Sorry for the spam, I’m glad that I found you and I’ll keep my eyes on your blog from today.

Hugs
    Vanina

9. Newcastle Family Life
    June 20, 2017 at 8:29 pm (1 month ago)

This is such a sweet selection, my children would love these xx

10. Jenni
    June 20, 2017 at 8:33 pm (1 month ago)

Hi Vanina, we get most of our English books from Amazon DE. You can order many English children’s books straight from there, and they usually cost around the same as in the UK. And in Germany, if you are *only* ordering books and nothing else in the same order from Amazon, the postage is always free. Hope that helps. Best, Jenni