We’ve already celebrated Father’s Day in Germany this year last month, but it’s Father’s Day in the UK (and also the US and other places) this coming weekend, so for the latest edition of my Friday Five book roundup, I’ve put together some of our favourite picture books for dads – plus one that’s on our wish list. So, clockwise starting from the top:
- My Daddy Snores by Nancy H. Rothstein with illustrations by Stephen Gilpin – This books seems to be out of print, but it’s worth getting a hold of a copy from third party sellers because it’s hilarious! Especially if your daddy snores too, like ours does (sorry dad, your secret is out…) The boys gave it him for German Father’s Day last month and it’s been a bedtime favourite since then.
- Daddy is My Hero by Dawn Richards with illustrations by Jane Massey – This is one of the first ever Father’s Day gifts we got for our daddy. In the story, a child dresses up with their daddy and they go on some great imaginary adventures. The illustrations are lovely, and I particularly like that the child could be a boy or a girl, so all children can identify with the child in the story.
- Every Friday by Dan Yaccarino – This book is about the walk a little boy and his father take every Friday, to have pancakes at their favourite diner. The walking through their neighbourhood together is just as special to them as the food they have at the end of it.
- Night Driving by John Coy with illustrations by Peter McCarty – Another ‘father and son’ story, this book follows their all-night road trip to the mountains, and the special bond that ensues. Makes you want to jump right in to a car and hit the road!
- Just Like Daddy by Lucy Freegard – And, finally, this one is on our wish list. For one, it features cute raccoon illustrations. For another, it’s a sweet story about wanting to be just like daddy, who is both strong and silly, practical and kind, and knows how to have fun.
Do you have any favourite picture books to recommend for Father’s Day? Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments.
Please note, all links in this post are Affiliate links, which means if you shop via these links I will receive a small percentage of the revenue. Thank you.